Part two starts with the base. You can see I half-lapped some massive timbers in an "X". I marked the large dado, cut the kerf on the tablesaw, and cut the waste out on the bandsaw. Little tip: cut the dado slightly undersized, then make tiny passes with the jointer (or hand plane) on the side of the leg until you have a perfect fit.
Next, I cut some tenons on the tops of the legs. I used a combination of hand saws and a skilsaw.
Those tenons mated to some 2x10s which gave me a solid leg assembly and something to attach the tabltop. Those dots are big lag bolts going into the leg.
A few lag bolts to mount the top and we've got a table. Tip: Make the holes for the bolts slotted or oval...so the tabletop can expand and contract seasonally.
We let the table rest a bit. Then filled some of the big voids with epoxy, sanded, and moved it to my buddy's place for finishing.
FinishI mentioned in part one that the downside of truing and cleaning up this lumber was that it removed a lot of the "old grey" look. Not a big deal, it can be added back. Some folks do it with a steel wool and vinegar concoction. However, I made this table for a professional painter.... so I let him do his thing.
I will attempt to relay what my buddy Corey worked up for the finish. First, a "white wash". Which was basically just thinned down latex paint or primer. Then, being a painter, he used a black wall glaze and played with the color until he got what he wanted.
Finally, a few coats of water-based polyurethane (Varathane Brand). Add some modern looking chairs and.....
The best part was collaborating with my buddy. I miss him now that we live a couple hours apart.
Take care ya'll,